Friday, February 8, 2013

what makes you happy on a rainy day?

Today I was out and about and stopped into a local antique shop. I came across these adorable mercury glass mushrooms. I was feeling a little whimsical or Kelly Wearstlerish and had to have. Tag said $12 bucks for the trio, they jumped in a bag and came home with me. What makes you smile on a gloomy, rainy day? Today....... mushrooms. See Jackie from Teal and Lime's March 16th post.











































I have to share the adorable-ness! Last weekend we made the journey (I left out the word epic, because it is only a 35 minute drive) to Room & Board and West Elm. We planned to just window shop, but I could not resist the mercury glass cuteness at West Elm.  I made a day-after-payday impulse buy. I bought three of the various sized mercury glass mushrooms. I only passed on the smallest one.
West Elm Mercury Glass Mushrooms
My motives for the purchase:
West Elm Mercury Glass Mushrooms
Blinded by my motives I overlooked the total price tag of $60 for the three mushrooms.  I thought maybe I would have buyer’s remorse due to the price, but I never did.  Let’s just be happy I stopped at three, because I tell you seeing tons of these guys lining the West Elm shelves is super adorable.  If they were a bit more affordable, I would have bought a garden of mercury glass mushrooms.
West Elm Mercury Glass Mushrooms
Once I unwrapped them at home and set them up in a cluster on the mantel, I was even more in love.  They are such a happy addition to the family room.  They provide balance to the mantel with the owl on the other side.  If you are keeping track, I also made a few other mantel changes or maybe I should say removals.  See the subtle holiday mantel for the before.  After the holidays I removed the vase of jingle bells.  Recently, to make room for the mushrooms, I removed the large turquoise vases.  I instantly liked how much lighter and airer the mantel felt.  I still need to make a few other mantel changes for spring…

No comments: