Sunday, January 9, 2011

artists I admire and inspire

These are a few artists that have made an impression on me with their talent. I will feature  five more artists who inspire me.... soon.
Francesco Clemente "Alba"
I admired Clemente's portraits after I saw them in the 1998 movie
"Great Expectations". 
Modernization of Charles Dickens
classic story
 with Gwyneth Paltrow and Ethan Hawke.
Egon Schiele "Nu Asiss" 1910
Viewed a few pieces at the Phillips Collection years ago.
Schiele's work is noted for its intensity, and the many self-portraits the artist produced. The twisted body shapes and the expressive line that characterize Schiele's paintings and drawings mark the artist as an early exponent of Expressionism, although still strongly associated with the art nouveau movement.
Wayne Thiebaud "Girl in Blue Shoes" 1968
Many years ago I bought a print of "Cakes No. 1"at the National Gallery of Art. Personally, I prefer the woman as opposed to the baked goods and candy.



Wayne Thiebaud (born November 15, 1920) is an American painter whose most famous works are of cakespastries,bootstoiletstoys and lipsticks.  He is associated with the Pop art movement because of his interest in objects of mass culture, although his works, executed during the fifties and sixties, slightly predate the works of the classic pop artists. Thiebaud uses heavy pigment and exaggerated colors to depict his subjects, and the well-defined shadows characteristic of advertisements are almost always included in his work. 
Jenny Saville
Truly morbid, which I love, Jenny Saville caught my eye in  an Art New magazine . I have  been engaged ever since.
Jenny Saville (born in Cambridge in 1970) is an English painter, she is one of the Young British Artist or YBAs. Saville is known for her large-scale painted depictions of naked women.
Alyssa Monks "Smirk"
While researching galleries, I came across Alyssa Monks. She is just  brilliant.


No comments: